Saturday, January 14, 2012

Color Part 1

So, I had a particularly hard time choosing this color scheme because I wasn't sure how I wanted my audience to feel when they read it. In the end I chose a complimentary color scheme utilizing both warm and cool colors. I decided to keep my base color blue to allow a feeling of stability. I changed to a simple background that had dark blue birds flying away from my title to symbolize that feeling of being in the air and flowing with the breeze. I used both tints and shades to make my page easier to read and soften everything up. I figured bright orange/red and blue was just far too harsh for the mood I was going for. The reason I chose to use a shaded red/orange just to give my post titles and links a wistful and romantic feel without going over the top and making it too blatantly feminine. I just amazes me how much you can do with complementary colors just by adding tints and shades. It allowed me to  have a lighter color for my blog title and post background simply by adding an extreme tint to it. It's like a super light pink/brown color that came from a tinted red/orange.

I chose my colors in order to create specific contrasts. I wanted a subdued, cool background that I could put a very light cream against so my posts would pop. It also allowed my blog title to stand out against the blue. I also wanted my post titles and links to have a different, not so monotone feel to them so I put a surprising burgundy in there to draw attention to specific posts. Against the white it made the posts more obvious and against the blue it toned the links down so they weren't the first thing you noticed on the page.

I also chose my colors to create appropriate repetition. Using that burgundy color for my post titles and links pulls them together to form a group. I also wanted my blog title and post background wo form a group because it is THE most important part of my blog. It gives them the main name and draws attention to the information in my blog. I didn't want to really use the blue anywhere besides the main background color so it would be special and not draw attention to itself. Finally, I basically used a shaded version of my post background and blog title to make my text color. This just pulled it all together nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment